Monday, April 8, 2013

Getting ready for a SHOW


My studio is a mess. Getting ready for an art fair is not a pretty thing to watch. What usually happens is an artist gets ALL their new ideas a week before the event and we try to do the impossible. We try to do it all. For me, just making a list of the things I need to remember is something I forget to do.  What tends to happens is one or two new pieces get actually finished and about 5 other new ideas are started for the next shows after this. 


After I figure out the design on paper I begin to cut out the glass and make decisions about color and placement. Usually while I'm doing this I am also feeding the dog, feeding myself and taking breaks to walk myself and the dog. I am happily going through the mechanics of putting my characters together while wondering if anyone will really care or even like this piece enough to purchase it. I am new to this type of work and not entirely confident of the directions it will go into.  I do have a few ounces of faith that it will appeal to the "right" person and I'll never see it again. Another thing for the list, call my friend with the really good camera to photograph this work so I can use it for a jury shot.  I am also thinking, boy, this is a whole lot different than doing metal work for my jewelry before a show. The whole process is terribly exciting for me because I am not locked into the same way of doing things as I have been in the past 22 years. I am still making my beautiful jewelry but right now I am having a hot romance with these pictures. 




In the meantime, I'm scoring, snapping and sawing away. Thinking, I hope I don't mess this up and break it in the wrong spot. I have a very limited amount of colored sheets left since I started this way of working. With the jewelry, because it was so small, I could go for years without buying glass. But now, I am running out and I better make more money so I can replenish the supply. In these times, it's sketchy. So I use what I have and am careful with what I got. There are very good reasons I price my work the way I do and part of that has to do with how expensive this hand made glass from Bullseye Glass from Portland, Oregon is. It ain't cheap! 


I had these cool people I built in glass for a different art piece I made. They were from a show in New Orleans I did at Thomas Mann's Gallery I/O. After they sent the "martini project" back to me I packed the little guys away. They were so fragile. Not really jewelry proof. Then I got the idea to add them to a painting. Because I drilled holes in the already I thought it would be cool to hang them.

 So this project is coming together, almost finished anyhow. In the meantime, I am working on extra display options using tables with the few walls I have. Set up is a bitch but the booth will look good. I'm pretty good at that. Still, it will take up an evening to get the skirts and legs and shelving tightened up. Oh, I have to finish a few smaller ones too.... I like the new "Eye Love You" pieces I made.... I'm getting better at them! I'm also working on a big piece called "The Land of Positive Thinking" that has lots of "signs" in it. I'm looking forward to that.


Yes, my lovely art fair attendees, it does look like I'm having fun. For the most part I do enjoy making this work. The hard parts are not knowing if I'll make enough to cover all the costs of living and to keep going. This lifestyle certainly keeps me on my toes and I think, it part, it has something to do with my desires to create new and original mixed media art that will make people smile.


This coming weekend, April 13th and 14th, 2013, I will be participating in "Spring Festival on Ponce" in Atlanta Georgia. I am in Booth #P15. Please come or tell your friends in Atlanta!

I have another show featuring my paintings AND jewelry on Mother's Day weekend, May 11th and 12th, 23nd Annual Colors Festival of Arts in the Historic Town Square – Roswell, Georgia

 To see the latest postings on my newest work and all my latest ideas I ponder, visit me on Facebook at Studio Mod Glass.

My website is StudioModGlass.com! Check out the WORKSHOPS I am offerings later this month. I have many shows in May and June so I won't be teaching again until July.

I am honored to be asked to share my musings of life as a self employed craft artist here in Athens Georgia with the ATHENS PATCH. An online daily diary of what is happening around here. Thanks go out to the editor Rebecca McCarthy for asking me.

Time to make a list!









2 comments: